Sunday, September 1, 2013

Shopping for a Sewing Machine

I was a bit disappointed lately because I can't resume doing my sewing projects. My pink sewing machine, I think, gave up on me :-(

I looked online where to buy inexpensive but heavy duty sewing machines, and I came across a blog about where to buy sewing machines in Manila. Surplus sewing machines are sold at the New Port Shopping Center in Manila.

How to Get There


From Quezon City, we took the LTR 2 from Katipunan to Recto. From the Odeon Building, we took a jeep bound for Pier and got off at the Anda Circle. You can also take a jeep plying from Fairview to Pier, or from SM North via the Proj 6-Pier jeeps. Those jeeps also pass through Anda Circle.

There were several stalls there selling surplus sewing machine, but we were specifically looking for Stall 1-IJ as recommended in the blog I've read.


Surplus Sewing Machines

These sewing machines are surplus items from Japan. They run on 110V so you also have to buy a transformer to be able to use it on 220V. 

My pink sewing machine can be used to fix minor problems but it really doesn't produce good quality sewing output. Had I known that it is only good for minor sewing fixes, I should have brought a surplus sewing machine in the first place. Well, I learned my lesson the hard way. Anyway, I had to finish my sewing projects so I really need to buy a heavy duty one. 

I was particularly looking for a sewing machine that is small, not that heavy, has different basic stitches (straight, zigzag, and button hole), has a pedal, and a free arm. 

The store owner offered me this Riccar sewing machine, and she taught me how to use it and let me test the unit. By the way, before we went there, I prepared a few scrap fabrics to bring with me so I could use them when I will be "test driving" the sewing machines. Unfortunately, it doesnt have a foot pedal. It only has those blue and orange buttons to start and stop sewing. I really wanted this one however, I still prefer something with a foot pedal.


I wanted this one, but unfortunately , it doesn't have a pedal. I'm used to sewing with a foot
pedal 
because I learned sewing using my grandma's good old sewing machine and hers has one

She also opened this one for me. This is a Baby Lock sewing machine made by Juki. It is not that heavy, has 9 stitches which included straight, zigzag, button hole, and some others.   And still doesn't have a foot pedal. 




My Not-So-New Sewing Machine

I was also offered with another Baby Lock Companion Special sewing machine. This one is almost the same with the one above except that this one has a foot pedal and it only has 7 types of stitches. So I played around with it.. and I love it. It is very easy to use and its just what I wanted.



Its perfect for me based on my specifications: not that heavy, has basic stitches (it has 7) including a buttonhole stitch, a free arm, and of course a foot pedal. 




A closer look at my new machine, from top L-R: stitch selector, tension selector, stitch size and reverse button. The shop owner also gave me a buttonhole presser foot for FREE! :D by the way,  I haven't cleaned it up yet, am just too excited to take photos! ;-)



11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. OMG thats really cheap and i think its worth the price.... ill visit there soon.. :3

      Delete
  2. The machine costs 1500. But when I visited the place again to help my friend buy a sewing machine, the price ranges from 1800-3000 last year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kamusta naman po performance habang tumatagal??? Worth it po ba?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, ok naman.. It also includes 1 year warranty.

      Delete
  4. ask ko lang meron din bang sila serger machine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've seen some serger machines din po.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ask ko lang po kong nabebenta kayo ng spare part like needle plate JANOME ang brand model 751

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...